Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Joe Tomei

Hi everyone, my name is Joe Tomei, and I'll continue what I hope will be a huge category of introductions.
I am originally from the US, and have been a faculty member at Kumamoto Gakuen University (KGU) since 1998. My research is in 2 areas: Cognitive Linguistics and English Language Teaching. I've had a long-distance relationship with PIGATE, but with the move to KGU, I hope that I can participate regularly.

I have a number of hobbies. I started doing judo, and have done some martial arts for about 35 years. I now do aikido (合気道), iaido (居合道) and tai chi (太極拳). If you want to try any of these, let me know.










I also love music and play the french horn. I was originally a music major as an undergraduate, but changed to linguistics after 3 years.

These hobbies have a strong influence on my ideas about teaching, because I think learning English is like doing a sport or martial art or playing an instrument.

Look forward to seeing everyone at PIGATE!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in the PIGATE blog! We have comment moderation ON, so there may be delays in comment displays. However, we will try to approve your comments as soon as possible–hopefully in no longer than a day. If you also are interested in becoming a blog contributor, please spell out in a comment a topic or two that you'd like to blog about. Thanks in advance for commenting–and becoming a regular contributor!